As Minister Assisting for Industry and Innovation, I am responsible for AusIndustry and Australia’s industry and innovation councils. Effective industry and innovation policy is critical to sustaining and driving Australia’s economy and as Minister my other responsibilities include the ICT industry, public sector innovation, space industries, the National Measurement Institute and the textile clothing and footwear sector.
Continuous engagement with business and manufacturing is critical to ensuring the program delivery arm of the portfolio is responsive to the needs of the sector and appropriately geared to enhance Australia’s innovation capacity.
As Minister I get the opportunity to meet with businesses engaged with AusIndustry and learn about the innovative work and exciting prospects for Australian firms. AusIndustry delivers such critical programs as the R&D Tax Incentive, Commercialisation Australia and a broad range of co-investment programs to assist industries to become more productive and competitive in a low carbon global economy.
Complementing my engagement with industry I also have responsibility for several enabling technologies and infrastructure, namely the ICT industry, public sector innovation, space-based industries and information resources, and national measurement standards and calibration.
These capabilities are critical to ensuring Australian industry is competitively positioned in the 21st century. The Government understand that transforming information technologies and data collections, along with more flexible and responsive government regulatory processes and services can unlock the human and commercial potential of Australian industry.
For more information visit the Department of Innovation website.
Most recent articles below - please visit the Innovation Portfolio category for all articles.
- Speech to the Launch of Austech and National Manufacturing Week
- Manufacturing Week marks Enterprise Connect milestones
- Address to the Surveying and Spatial Sciences Conference 2013
- Launch of Australian Space Policy
- Report shows digital world shaping sporting megatrends
- Improved tools to help Australian Business
- Innovation the key to success for Aussie textile maker
- NBN Switched on in the ACT
- Local businesses cut emissions, save on energy
- Canberra Guide app launched for Centenary year