As Minister for Multicultural Affairs I have responsibility for progressing Australia’s multicultural policy and ensuring our access and equity principles are responsive to the needs of Australia’s diverse communities. Multiculturalism in Australia is about our shared sense of nationhood, and is underpinned by our common Australian values like equality and a fair go.
Since the Second World War over seven million people have peacefully settled in Australia and our cultural diversity is now one of our greatest assets as a nation. Our multicultural policy, the People of Australia, aims to leverage the benefits of our diversity so Australia can continue to prosper and grow.
Australia’s brand of multiculturalism has been underpinned by practical settlement strategies – including migrant resource centres, multicultural youth organisations, English tuition centres and cultural orientation programs. We know that strong settlement services are the backbone of our migration program and as Minister I am committed to ensuring support is geared to help new migrants participate in Australia society as soon as possible following their arrival.
As Minister I have responsibility for a wide range of programs and policies within the Department of Immigration and Citizenship. These include:
- Settlement Grants Program, Diversity and Social Cohesion Program Grants and Multicultural Arts and Festivals Grants;
- Settlement Services;
- Humanitarian Settlement Services;
- Adult Migrant English Program;
- Multicultural Affairs;
- Access and Equity;
- National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters;
- National Anti-Racism Partnership Strategy;
- Australian Multicultural Council;
- Refugee Resettlement Advisory Council;
- Harmony Day; and
- National Action Plan Research
Most recent articles below - please visit the Multicultural Portfolio category for all articles.
- Woden Community Service: supporting our local community
- $270,000 to enhance local settlement services
- $172,500 boost for youth cultural program and men’s shed in Logan with Craig Emerson MP
- Address Australian Multicultural Community Services (AMCS), Multicultural Conference
- $693,664 Funding to support Migrants and Refugees In The Northern Territory
- Gillard Government empowering multicultural communities
- Giants on the field and in the community
- $75,000 to support the Association of Bhanin El-Minieh in Western Sydney
- Opening ceremony of the Akhil Australia Marathi Sammelan
- Netball supports Harmony Day